How to choose an implant dentist?
If a dentist offers dental implant surgery it does not automatically follow that he is a dental implant expert. There are many dentists who have learned dental implant procedures at weekend courses or accelerated training programs. If you are considering undergoing dental implant surgery you need to make sure you find a dental implant expert with accreditation.
Accreditation and certificates are various in different countries, in the US, for example, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry oversees and regulates implant specialists. If you are going abroad for dental implants, make sure you find out which accreditation dentists there should have. Many certificates are valid internationally and these are usually the most respected.
Important factors in dental implant treatment
For most patients the cost and the length of time the whole procedure takes are important factors when they are making a decision on the treatment. However, the most important factor here is a properly qualified dental implant expert. If you want your dental implants to last for a very long time and fit securely in your mouth, you need to invest into a good dentist.
Only a dental implant expert will give you full satisfaction with your dental implant procedure, with a restored beautiful smile and giving you back your self-confidence.
Ask your dentist questions
When you are looking to choose a dental expert you also need to ask as many questions as possible, as you need to feel confident that you will be able to trust the professional with your teeth and health. First of all you need to know about the dentists experience and find out if he is qualified to properly perform dental implant surgery.
Below you will find a list of questions to ask. If you have any of your own questions feel free to ask them.
- What is the success rate of your treatments?
- What education and training have you had in the field of dental implant surgery?
- What treatments do you perform most often when replacing missing teeth?
- Which dental treatment would you recommend for me, and why?
- How many dental implants and other dental treatments have you performed?
- What type of anaesthesia do you use during treatments?
- Do you offer temporary replacements for the duration of the treatment?
- What can I expect during and after the dental implant treatment (will there be pain, what is the recovery time etc.)?
- What are the risks involved in the treatment I will be undergoing?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this treatment?
- Can I see before and after pictures of your other patients?
Bear in mind these are merely a suggested selection of questions for your dentist. If you have any other questions in mind, do not hesitate and ask.